64-bit VMs

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Apr 5 20:07:17 UTC 2005

In message <3a02995c1054e62fa6c2277cc3602084 at hp.com>
          Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta at hp.com> wrote:

> Not necessary.  Execute 'ObjectMemory initBytesPerWord: 8', regenerate,
> [ recompile, fix errors, run 64-bit VM ] repeatAsNecessary.
Ah, that. Well unfortunately that triggers the first actual CodeMist bug I've seen since around '89. No can do. I'll ping the supplier but I won't hold my breath.

> That's what we need.  With appending '32' and '64' to the path so that
> each version of the VM goes into a different tree.  But it's no real
> hassle to re-accept the path I guess, since it's mainly once per VM
> release that most people who care will be wanting to generate both at
> the same time...
I have a '64bit vm' button for now - I was disturbed by just how hard it was to find a morphic widget that did what I want and to find out how to use it - that works well enough for a first try. It maintains the rule that a user-typed path overrides any default, so if you leave the default path an press for 'machine word size'~ then it changes the path to blah-blah/src[64,32] but if you have set the path manually to 'blahblah/fredsCustomVMSrc' it stays that way.

For batch making of many VMs the script is by far the more efficient approach.

tim
REALITY.SYS corrupted- reboot Universe (Y/N)?