bug in svnx and rollback of /trunk/platforms/Cross/vm/sq.h needed (1172)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Apr 14 02:01:18 UTC 2005

Well the svnX tool does tell you you have a merge pending, and it does
allow you to do fileMerge or diff. If one chooses not to
it still doesn't prevent one from finding a bug that commits your stale
version without asking.
The only thing this would gain is on a commit you wouldn't have your
stale version go up by accident since you would need to do an add
first.
Still I'll consider it until I decide if the tool is trustworthy enough.

On Apr 13, 2005, at 6:13 PM, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> In message <fe54c2bf414cbde186985bcdbfe31e4e at inria.fr>
>           Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta at inria.fr> wrote:
>
>>      + move the local version aside (deleting the original name)
>>      + update just the conflicting file with 'svn update
>> originalName.whatever', to get a fresh copy from the repo
>>      + diff the updated original version against my modified copy
>>      + copy (or propagated changes from) the new version back into the
>> original version
> Why do you do this bit? Is it a lack of trust in the auto-merging
> hoo-hah
> stuff? I must admit I'm bit sniffy about the idea of anything
> automatically
> claiming to be able to tell me that "you changed some stuff and mickey
> changed
> some stuff but they didn't clash".
>

> tim
> Strange OpCodes: RC: Rewind Core