vm crash in updatePointersinRangeFromto via primitiveArrayBecome (mac vm 3.8.7b5)

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Apr 28 02:39:40 UTC 2005

In message <a4473bfbe3e462c864d0ef9b9853282e at smalltalkconsulting.com>
          John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

> question without issues. Lately we added some changes by Andreas for
> correct weak array handling, some changes to how become: works, and my
> work in VM GC statistical data, so I cann't say which is at fault, if
> any...

I'm currently hip-deep in similar excrement after merging in the new lowspace-
process handling and the gc instrumentation/weak pointer stuff. It _looks_ as
if something is getting twisted in the general gc area since the free block
size ends up being set to 4. As in '4' not 4k or 4mb, just 4. That quite
unsurprisingly upsets the sufficientSpaceToAllocate: code and we get an Earth-
shattering kaboom. Once my head has stopped spinning I'll try the lowspace
changes without the gc changes.

All to try to make it possible to debug some stupid problem in TK4 tree
walking....

tim
The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread.