FloatArrayPlugin & 64bitting

Dave Mason dmason at sarg.ryerson.ca
Fri Apr 29 19:09:55 UTC 2005

> sqMemoryAccess.h defines two macros to replace such casts:
> 	sqInt oopForPointer(char *rawPoitner)
>       char *pointerForOop(sqInt anOop).
> These are effectively no-ops on all combinations other than the

>>> On Apr 29, 2005, at 09:08, Dave Mason wrote:

>> I also assume that firstIndexableField returns a type that is
>> compatible with sqInt.

OK, thanks Ian, I think I understand now.  So Tim's original code:

	argPtr = ((float *) (interpreterProxy->firstIndexableField(arg)));
	for (i = 0; i <= (length - 1); i += 1) {
		if ((longAt(argPtr + i)) == 0) {
			return interpreterProxy->primitiveFail();
		}

should really be a lot more like:

	{sqInt argOop = oopForPointer(interpreterProxy->firstIndexableField(arg));
	for (i = 0; i <= (length - 1); i += 1) {
		if ((floatAt(argOop + i)) == 0.0) {
			return interpreterProxy->primitiveFail();
		}
	}

although, as you say, intAt might be better, depending on context
(but, in general, longAt is just wrong, unless this is actually an
array of doubles).

The reason I suggest converting to sqInt rather than leaving
everything as pointers is because I assume the indexableFields are
allocated on sqInt boundaries, so argOop+i will reference the ith
field, while argPtr+i will reference the ith float, which, on a 64-bit
machine won't be the same if the fields are on sqInt boundaries.  This
would be a pretty subtle bug, in that arrays that had the zeros at the
end might not call primitiveFail as expected.

(This paragraph is really just to Ian, as I try to come up to speed on
some of this, and I'm sure the code is actually correct.)  I really
need to download the code and look at it, but failing that, I
obviously mis-understand something because if the macros are no-ops
then the arithmetic above looks wrong.  argOop+i will be an integer
operation, which is fine for objects of length 1, but not for objects
of length sizeof(sqInt).  The only way I can see this working is if
sqInt isn't actually an int but an int* or long* (depending on
architecture) and all the macros do is offset them to/from the vm
image's memory pool.

../Dave