New VMMaker/svn release

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Dec 29 20:55:03 UTC 2005

On 29-Dec-05, at 12:00 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 06:44:48PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>> On 28-Dec-05, at 6:36 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>>

>>> Worked fine on Intel Linux 32 bit. That's all I've tried so far.
>> Excellent, thanks for testing it Dave.
>
> Interim update on building 64 bit VMs with the latest VMM/SVN:
>
> Unfortunately I have not been able to build a working 64 VM yet.
> I'm using VMMaker-tpr.39 (loaded from Squeak Map), SVN 1282, plus my
> local patches (attached for reference). The OS is 32 bit Intel Linux.
>
> I was previously able to build a 64 bit VM with VMMaker-tpr.37 and
> SVN 1259, with the same local patches.

Hmm, sadly not something I can be of much help with; no linux machine
etc.
All I can say is that *very* little changed between .37 and .39 that
I could imagine having any such effect. Um, well diff is your
reasonably polite acquaintance I think.

> I am building the 64 bit VM with internal plugins BalloonEnginePlugin,
> BitBltSimulation, FilePlugin, and SocketPlugin, and no external
> plugins.
> The resulting VM crashes with a segfault after entering the
> interpreter
> and opening the display. This is using a 64 bit image that does open
> successfully with my earlier 64 bit VM (VMMaker-tpr.37/SVN 1259).
>
> Also note, VMMaker versionString => '3.8b4' should be '3.8b5-64'.
D'oh.

> More to follow when I get it figured out.
>
> Dave
>
> Attachments (in zip file):
>
> platforms-win32-plugins-FilePlugin-sqWin32FilePrims.c.diff - Change
> Win32
>     FilePlugin to use session ID from the interpreter rather than
> generate its
>     own value (for consistency, and also so as not to break OSPP
> for Win32).
>
> platforms-Cross-vm-sqMemoryAccess.h.diff - Add missing memory
> access macros
>     (the inline functions are complete, but some of the
> corresponding macros
>     are missing).
OK, I knew we had skipped some but hadn't had any problems as such.

> platforms-unix-vm-sqUnixExternalPrims.c.diff - Provide meaningful
> console
>     error message if an external module (e.g. vm-display-X11) fails
> to load.
>
> platforms-unix-config-config.h.in.diff - Add a definition to unix/
> config/config.in
>     to #define SQAIO_H "sqaio.h" due to renaming aio.h to sqaio.h.
> Permits OSPP
>     and AIO plugins to be backward compatible with older source
> trees. (Note
>     to Tim: RiscOS uses a copy of aio.h in its platform tree,
> should sqaio.h
>     be moved to Cross?)
It does? Gosh, I had no idea. Let me see what to do about that.

> <DavesPlatformPatches-SVN-1282.zip>

tim
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by
doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do