VM "team"

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Mar 16 07:24:46 UTC 2005

Hi Ian!

(moved to vm-dev)

Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta at hp.com> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2005, at 13:23, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> > And it is a bit frustrating, AFAIK it still isn't in there
> > (getImageName). So the unix HEAD isn't compiling with the current
> > VMMaker
>
> It's compiling fine with the VMMaker shipped with 3.7-5898-full.

Ehum, cough. Ok, now the fog clears. :) I didn't notice VMMaker is
already included in 3.7, so I opened up SMLoader in a 5989-full,
selected VMMaker and installed it. Oops, bad move.

That will install the latest, which evidently is a beta for 3.8, but in
this case unfortunately marked as being for 3.7 (so SM will not
complain), though even if it tripped me up, that may be considered fine
- since it does after all *work* in 3.7.

I apologize for my utter VM-n00b-stupidity and still humbly conclude
that a little page somewhere explaining how to do this properly would at
least have helped me - and obviously all the other people stumbling on
this getImageName stuff - evidently they must all have been falling in
the same trap. :)

I know Ian has pretty detailed and good descriptions, but I think what
is lacking here is a more condensed howto that indeed includes this
stuff about VMMaker (haven't tested this, but I guess you see what I
mean):

- Get the full image for the official *current release*.
- Use the VMMaker installed in that image, or install the latest version
*for that release* (not newer). The trunk of the support code is meant
to build with the *released* VMMaker, not with the latest available.
- Check out trunk like this: yaddayadda
- Create configure script by doing:
	cd <somewhere>/squeak/platforms/unix/config
	./configure && make
- Start VMMaker and set platforms path to
"<somewhere>/squeak/trunk/platforms" and src path to
"<somewhere>/squeak/trunk/src" (which you need to create)
- Then create directory <somewhere>/squeak/trunk/build

After that this should repeatedly build you a VM:
- Use VMMaker:
	Clean out source (the button)
	Make all plugins internal (or start with none)
	Generate all
- cd to <somewhere>/squeak/trunk/build and build it:
	rm -rf * && ../platforms/unix/config/configure && make

And to install, you can do make install etc. See Makefile for other
targets like for example only compiling plugins etc.

regards, Göran

PS. Ian, did you try with automake 1.8 or 1.9?

PSS. Still think a little page explaining the most important details
about the VM work process would be helpful. I don't think many people
are aware that Ian wants patches in the form of full files sent by email
for example.