VM "team"

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Mar 16 08:15:31 UTC 2005

Hi!

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> > I apologize for my utter VM-n00b-stupidity and still humbly conclude
> > that a little page somewhere explaining how to do this properly would at
> > least have helped me - and obviously all the other people stumbling on
> > this getImageName stuff - evidently they must all have been falling in
> > the same trap. :)
>
> More likely, they have been using a basic image (3.7 or 3.8). Which

Yeah, I did that too at first. ;)

> reminds me: With the current SM, is there actually a way of marking
> releases in a way that users will automatically get "their" version?

Yes, I assume you mean "their" as in "for their Squeak version". When
you do "install" on a package (not a specific release) it will try to
find the latest published release for your Squeak version (looking at
the categories).

And it will typically ask a bunch of questions if there are no published
ones, or if there is no version for your Squeak version etc, etc. So no,
not as good as full dependencies - but it helps.

> > I know Ian has pretty detailed and good descriptions, but I think what
> > is lacking here is a more condensed howto that indeed includes this
> > stuff about VMMaker (haven't tested this, but I guess you see what I
> > mean):
>
> http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/unix/devel.html
> http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/unix/platforms/unix/doc/HowToBuildFromSource.html/index.html
>
> Both seem quite applicable in this regard.

These were the docs I was indeed referring to. But when I looked at them
I didn't find much info about VMMaker. And yes, I did try the preloaded
VMMaker image, but that is a 3.6 image, so that isn't really the "HEAD"
of VM development. And also it failed with:

vm/vm.a(sqVirtualMachine.o)(.text+0x483): In function
`sqGetInterpreterProxy':
/home/gokr/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/Cross/vm/sqVirtualMachine.c:315:
undefined reference to `isArray'
vm/vm.a(sqVirtualMachine.o)(.text+0x48e):/home/gokr/svn/squeak/trunk/pla
tforms/Cross/vm/sqVirtualMachine.c:316: undefined reference to
`forceInterruptCheck'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [squeak] Error 1

...but I guess it would work if I checked out 3.6 from Svn using some
tag or so.

> > PSS. Still think a little page explaining the most important details
> > about the VM work process would be helpful. I don't think many people
> > are aware that Ian wants patches in the form of full files sent by email
> > for example.
>
> Well, if they care to read they might now ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

cheers, Göran

PS. Also note that the current trunk for unix is based on a 3.7-beta
image (5868), which can be seen flashing by during the configure phase.
Ian and I discovered this a day or two ago and Ian used language "not
appropriate" for this forum :) :), it is a mistake, but I am not sure if
it has any known bad consequences.