Unix 3.7 gamma VM

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at hp.com
Fri Mar 18 20:07:06 UTC 2005

On Mar 18, 2005, at 11:51, Tim Rowledge wrote:

>> Is it too late to post these changes to the 3.7 update stream?
> Not so much too late as irrelevant. They are VMMaker changes and would
> go into a re-released VMMaker package on SM.

They would be very, very relevant to anyone trying to make a working VM
from a 3.7 image and the 3.7 final VM sources.  (Including me.  I
normally would refuse to include anything not in the image/update
stream when building a release VM.)

As I understand it, this is just the point Ned was trying to make and
address.  The more places you have to look for particular versions of
stuff (SVN source with tag X.Y + SqF image version X.Y-full + SM or
other source for VMM package version P.Q + updates through but not
passing ABCD + changeset posted to vm-dev on 2005-03-18 by Anonymouse
Squeaklander + etc...) to make a compatible whole, the harder it is for
anyone and everyone to recreate a VM from scratch.

Just saying "get all the latest stuff" doesn't really work if you're
trying to recreate a particular version of the VM.

The simplest useful and scalable thing I can imagine is to say: VM X.Y
"final" can be recreated verbatim from scratch by using X.Y final
platform sources + X.Y final image + any big fixes subsequently
retrofitted to its Interpreter through the X.Y update stream.

Ian