Unix 3.7 gamma VM

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Mar 18 20:41:12 UTC 2005

Ned's Changes...

I'll note the use of signed versus unsigned might require a bit more
thought. Really want *should* happen is getting an oops address back
is really a squeakOopAddress type. Then when people do math on it it
needs to be looked at carefully. Perhaps a add/subtract method that
will do the
right thing? The danger of piecemeal mod leaves you with an image that
kinda works, but deep down when something says grab the oops address
and add/subtract
4 under certain conditions means disaster.  mmm really I've thought
about defining that type then turning warnings on, then following the
results, but that means of course cross checking all the platform
dependent code too because they should be getting squeakOopAddress
versus int.

PS many years ago I put together a change set to alter slang so that if
you returned nothing from a method, or a typecasted value it would
generate the C code as returning
the void or data type. That could rid of the thousand warnings about
routine does not return int but declared as returning int. However as
Tim discovered we do evil things in the
VM external API and say for example setting the error prim result
returns int, when in fact it does not return int. Then people have
coded routines and say return seterror().

On Mar 18, 2005, at 11:39 AM, Ned Konz wrote:

> On Friday 18 March 2005 11:16 am, Ian Piumarta wrote:
>>> What VMMaker version does that correspond to?
>>
>> The one in 3.7-5898-full.
>>
>> 1.  It's a 3.7 VM, so the rule says it has to be built from a 3.7
>> image.  The final 3.7 VM is built from the final 3.7-full image.
>> 2.  Look in configure.ac (or watch the first few lines printed by
>> configure as it runs) and it tells you exactly which image version
>> generated the (bundled) interpreter sources.
>
> Great. I'll apply my changes to it instead.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Ned Konz
> http://bike-nomad.com