Unix 3.7 gamma VM

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at hp.com
Fri Mar 18 21:40:05 UTC 2005

On Mar 18, 2005, at 12:41, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I'll note the use of signed versus unsigned might require a bit more
> thought. Really want *should* happen is getting an oops address back
> is really a squeakOopAddress type.
> I've thought about defining that type then turning warnings on, then
> following the results, but that means of course cross checking all the
> platform dependent code too because they should be getting
> squeakOopAddress versus int.

The 64-bit changes I sent to Tim effectively do precisely that.

The one thing I didn't get around to doing before shipping it all to
Tim (which I will retrofit when Tim is done holding the Interpreter/VMM
token) is modify the types slightly to (1) make it absolutely
impossible to mix integers and oops without going through the relevant
conversion function, and (2) fix the current situation where sqInt and
sqLong look similar but behave not quite the way you might expect
relative to each other.  (Dan and I are already overdue for some work
on our 64-bit stuff anyway, and this is one thing I need to address
during it.  The impact on platform code will be minimal.  If Tim
doesn't mind receiving changesets relative to changeset that are still
being pulled forward then I could start on this right away.  Otherwise
we're waiting on him, and when VMM is generating a 64-bit Interpreter
correctly I'll just assume the token for day and fix it in-situ.)

Ian