Key events (Re: Scroll events)

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Sat Mar 19 05:30:43 UTC 2005

  Andreas,

> >   That would be ok.  ("Probably a comment should say something like
> > "precomposed Unicode characters in UTF-32".)  And defining the byte
> > order would be necessary.
>
> Huh? You see me confused. If UTF32 is a 32bit wide quantity then why
> would we have to worry about it? We use 32bit "words" all the time
> without worrying about byte ordering. What am I missing?

  Obviously, this isn't the right time for me to write these emails.
You're right.

  Other comment would be that if the platform needs to translate the
"char code" from the OS to Unicode, the translation table should be
canonicalized.  Different platforms could give you different Unicode
value for the "same" character...  Some issues we are going to have at
first, but things will stabilize after the first a few rounds...

> Err, Yoshiki, *please* tell me you have not been reading the two threads
> before and in particular the three posts where I explained what I want
> to be happening for keyDown vs. keyChar events. *Please*. Otherwise I
> must assume that I am so terribly bad at explaining what I mean that
> even three messages, all from different points of view, are not good
> enough to explain what I mean.

  I confess.  I haven't.  Because I thought you guys were talking
about Scroll Events, and I just noticed that the conversation switched
to keyboard input.  (Bad excuse, I should've read.)

> "keyDown" and "keyUp" events report raw (untranslated, uncooked,
> whatever you name it) *keys*, that is individual keys on the keyboard,
> such as, for example, the left-shift, or the right-shift, the F1, the
> IME-Mode, or whatever else key.
>
> "keyChar" (also known as: keyStroke) events report translated, cooked,
> whatever you name it *characters* that is (typically) human-readable
> entitities which are created by some means of combining the
> aforementioned *key* events.

  Ok.

> Therefore, if you would like to, you could compose and interpret the
> keyDown character in any way you choose. So, indeed, it would be utterly
> trivial to deal with other forms of interactions.
>
> Sigh. I'm exhausted.

  Sorry!

-- Yoshiki