fetchWordofObject

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri May 27 16:24:38 UTC 2005

In this case I think you should keep fetchWordofObject as the
backward compatible offering. I'll note the original did the same as
fetchPointerofObject
What was done here was removal of a entry in the sqVirtualMachine
table thus breaking many plugins, we should attempt to maintain
backward compatibility in 32bit mode.

On May 27, 2005, at 12:02 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

>> So I'd suggest we change fetchWordofObject back to the original
>> logic,  to avoid toasting all the plugins that use it?
>>

> Actually no. We should bind the entry in struct VM to whatever the
> right thing for 32 bit is (fetchLong32?) and rename the entries
> appropriately. In other words: Remove the offending method and fix
> all the users at their earliest appearance (I really don't
> understand why people leave methods with fatal aborts around - I'd
> rather have the compiler tell me the method doesn't exist).
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

===