plugin loads, but crash in shared library

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Tue Nov 15 00:36:13 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I now assuming that I'm not linking the shared library correctly. Is
there anything special that I need to understand and do with an external
plugin calling a shared library? (i know, wide open question, sorry)

I built the shared library, but it's built from the vendor's makefile
and works perfectly fine as is. As mentioned in a previous msg, other
apps can call this shared library fine with no problem.

Maybe the library is linked incorrectly? However, there are no undefined
references so something is finding the symbol.

Here is the output of the makefile relevant to linking:

/bin/sh /home/bfuller/projects/squeak/branches/platforms/unix/libtool
--mode=link gcc -g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLSB_FIRST=1
-avoid-version -module -rpath /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.7-7 -o
SoundPAPlugin.la SoundPAPlugin.lo patest_sine.lo
-Wl,/usr/local/lib/libportaudio.so

(if you've been following this saga, I couldn't get the Makefile.inc to
be recognized so I manually edited the Makefile to include this shared
library for resolving references)

 libtool/gcc experts: does that look right?  Do I need to also add a
runtime switch for the library at /usr/local/lib? -rpath?
The environment var "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" is set to /usr/local/lib -- I
assumed this was enough.

Or, maybe I'm linking the shared library all wrong.

Any pointers  or docs would be helpful and appreciated.

brad

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124