Unix VM Doc potential error -

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sat Nov 19 02:57:52 UTC 2005

The documentation to manually configure the make for the unix vm/plugin
seems incorrect. This in particular:

=====================
 $ cd bld

Create the build environment by running the script configure which lives
in the platforms/unix/config directory.

    Note: The configure script accepts lots of options. To see a list of
them, run: `configure --help'

Assuming you've created the blddir next to platforms, this would be:

  $ ../platforms/unix/config/configure

    Note: This assumes that the VMMaker sources are in `../src'..
=======================

If  the src directory is in next to platforms and blddir (as the doc
suggests is default), the config/configure script cannot find the vm
directory because it looks under the src dir for it.

if you VMMaker generate your sources in
../platforms/unix/src

VMMaker places plugins.ext and plugins.int in that directory (I think
that's who does it) and since vm is in that directory it configures
correctly,

Or am I just going in circles and I haven't found my tail yet?  :-)

===

And Tim:  If VMMakerTool does create plugins.ext, it doesn't seem to
create it when generating individual plugins from the context menu. At
least, I didn't see that it did. What I did was manually edit
plugins.ext so that the Makefile for my plugin would be created by
config/configure.  I may be wrong about this, but I didn't see that it did.

brad