IAN IS EVIL.

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Sun Oct 23 19:00:31 UTC 2005

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise...

Here's all the proof you need:

Several years ago I complained to Ian that I couldn't build squeak with
the Croquet-crucial B3D plugins. I eventually found that the problem
went away with the item $(X_LIBS) appended to make.prg.in.

He gave me a patronizing explaination of why that was stupid. He said he
would correct the problem.

I have continued to experience this problem time and time again, each
time I complain to him that it is still broken.

Now that many more months have passed, I, and my imperfect memory,
forgot about the issue. Only when I remembered the problem I thought to
re-apply my time-tested patch to get a successful build. GAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

Anyway, now that I'm back in the VM hacking game, here's my idea...

There have been several suggestions for incompatible changes to the VM.
Because it is still desirable to support older images (notably my
workhorse 3.7 image with all my stuff in it...) I have come up with the
idea of the "helper image"... The "helper image" is basically a patch
that is applied to the main image at load time that includes the stuff
the older image needs. (I'm planning an all out war on special objects,
especially "Display").

--
Friends don't let friends use GCC 3.4.4
GCC 3.3.6 produces code that's twice as fast on x86!

http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/