IAN IS EVIL.

Ian Piumarta piumarta at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 25 17:35:04 UTC 2005

On Oct 23, 2005, at 12:00 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:

> Don't let anyone tell you otherwise...

I'm kind of touched that it took you so long to notice.

> Several years ago I complained to Ian that I couldn't build squeak
> with
> the Croquet-crucial B3D plugins. I eventually found that the problem
> went away with the item $(X_LIBS) appended to make.prg.in.

I still think this will prevent the executable from running when it's
installed on a machine that has no X11 libraries.  Maybe GNU/Linux is
immune to this, but not architectures where I know for certain that
the dynamic loader eagerly resolves transitive dependencies
regardless of needing to resolve any symbols within them.  (The XLIBS
dependencies belong on vm-dpy-x11.so, not on the VM itself.)
However, evil intentions may have caused me to exclude some
configurations from building properly -- including internal
(statically-linked) B3D support in the VM.

I have flagged your message as important and put it in the bugs
queue.  Assuming I can reproduce the problem I will fix it.  If I
can't reproduce the problem then I will at least figure out a way for
you to tell configure to add the dependencies you need to the link
command.

Ian