Contextualizing the VM environment?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Apr 14 17:04:11 UTC 2006

Colin Putney wrote:
> I have a question along the lines of Ian's observation above. How does
> this idea differ from what you proposed after Craig posted his 1337
> image a while back?
> (http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-January/099832.html)
> In both cases, you're talking about, essentially, a VM instance per
> Process. Is this another approach to the same idea, or is there a key
> difference that I'm missing?

The key difference is that a contextualized VM environment would allow
for different versions of, say, class SmallInteger and any of the other
"special" classes. The 1337 image doesn't address this (at least this
hasn't been mentioned); the above discussion is about factoring out
process management which is a different beast.

Cheers,
   - Andreas