Smartphone port of squeak

Sam Liddicott sam at Liddicott.com
Fri Jan 6 08:03:43 UTC 2006

I'm trying my hand at porting squeak to MS Smartphone 2003, which is
based on WINCE4.

I'm adapting the win32 squeak build, which makes the most sense;

Smartphone, however, DOES have a joystick but does NOT have a mouse or
mouse pointer. It does have a concept of tab-order and focus.

Is this going to be a dead loss? while faking a mouse pointer might be
worthwhile for some things, if smalltalk is useless without it, then it
is probably a waste of time; does smalltalk or the GUI used, have a
concept of focus? Or would these be a feature of something like
wxSqueak, which probably could be ported?

Comments?

The other problem is, that although Smartphone supports sizeof(char)=1,
2 byte wchar_t is used for most API calls.

Comments?

Sam