Squeak Browser plugin source and arch

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Fri Jun 2 16:27:31 UTC 2006

Am 02.06.2006 um 17:51 schrieb Brad Fuller:

> I want to learn more about the browser plugins for Squeak. I'd like to
> see if streaming is possible. I don't know why squeak would be any
> different than other plugins for streaming. I noticed that you
> return -1
> for streaming in npsqueak (I assume NPP_WriteReady() is for
> streaming).
> Any technical reason?

No, except that downloading the whole file and giving its handle to
Squeak is a lot simpler. This way, we reuse the existing file support.

To learn how the plugin works, it might be best to recompile with the
debug logging enabled (I'm not sure if that's the case in recent
builds), then set the debug env var, run the browser, and trace the
log along with the sources. You can ignore npunix.c, it's just the
glue code from Netscapes SDK. The meat is in npsqueak.c (plugin) and
sqUnixMozilla.c (vm).

- Bert -