Proposal: getSystemAttribute(1006) - build ID

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Wed Mar 22 19:45:13 UTC 2006

Am 22.03.2006 um 20:23 schrieb tim Rowledge:

> On 22-Mar-06, at 11:02 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> Andreas is talking about using a UUID which for all purposes is
>> unique. The hassle for the VM makers is that they need to remember
>> to change the string in
>> the callback when they build and publish a new VM, and also in
>> OSx add it to the bundle info.
> I think that's what I said. To avoid manual hassle - and hopefully
> cases where a uuid wasn't set or worse yet didn't get changed - you
> need to incorporate as much of it as possible into the automated
> system. It's not difficult to use makefile rules to always compile
> a tiny file with nothing more than the time in it - see platforms/
> RiscOS/vm/sqRPCVersion.c for example- and that is a sort of uuid
> analogue that changes with every compile/link.
>
> Another possibility is a 'Genuine Official VM' site where the act
> of publishing a vm onto the site creates  a suitable uuid and
> incorporates it somehow.

No, this should be unique without publishing to any official place,
and needs to be different whenever you have a new binary. See here
for the discussion:

	http://discuss.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-browse?list=vm-
dev&cmd=showmsg&msgnum=482

I think the compile time plus host name would make a fairly good id -
the unix VM has this anyways:

	"Linux squeak.hpl.hp.com 2.4.27-1-386 #1 Fri Sep 3 06:24:46 UTC 2004
i686 GNU/Linux"

- Bert -