InterpreterProxy>>ioFilename:fromString:ofLength:resolveAliases:?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Mar 26 07:04:44 UTC 2006

On 25-Mar-06, at 10:33 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> This function is news to me - can somebody explain what it's good
> for, where it should be used and (most importantly) why we'd export
> this for plugins but don't use in the VM itself (e.g., no senders)?

See mantis 2044 for some details and the original rationale. It also
relates somewhat to :-

>> From: tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>
>> Subject: Re: New VMMaker/svn release
>> Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:14:06 -0800
>> To: vm-dev at discuss.squeakfoundation.org
>>
>> Hokay,
>> After taking Andreas' suggestion to dump the tacky old
>> sqFilenameFromString macro to heart, SM has a new release 11 -
>> 3.8b5-64B and SVN has level 1284 for you to play with. Read the SM
>> page comments.  It may well break things but I think it gets the
>> basic facility cleaner. I also cleaned out some ugly arg-typing
>> floobs while I was at it.
>>
>> Note that it looks to me as if AsynchFilePlugin and DeflatePlugin
>> could do with some looking at wrt 64bit cleanliness.

The resolveAliases bit at the end is an artifact of Apple having
their head up their rectum when it comes to aliases in filepaths.
Like the old macro sqFilenameFromStringOpen()

tim
Design simplicity: It was developed on a shoe-string budget.