InterpreterProxy>>ioFilename:fromString:ofLength:resolveAliases:?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Mar 26 23:17:53 UTC 2006

tim Rowledge wrote:
>> One question about this: Do we have a way of doing that kind of file
>> name conversion from the image itself? It strikes me as somewhat odd
>> that a plugin needs to do that conversion given that the image can
>> just pass a well-formed version of the string as the argument, no?
> Actually, no. Until and unless we ever get some decent file handling
> code in the image we simply can't rely on a passed in filename being
> even vaguely decent. My preference is to call a VM routine to
> canonicalise the passed in string for every usage simply because you can
> rely (for some value of 'rely') on the OS getting it right in working
> out that '../../foo/bar/bim.bmp' is actually
> '/usr/mounts/someOtherComputer/viaALink/mumble/frotz.jpeg'.

All right, you guys know this better than I do (since I don't have this
problem ;-) So, just for verification, the following is a legal
implementation for the method, yes?

int sqGetFilenameFromString(char *buf, char *fname, int length, int b) {
   memcpy(buf, fname, length);
   return 1;
}

> When all else fails, let a = 7.  If that doesn't help, then read the
> manual.

How fitting ;-) It was just how I felt when writing the above. Are you
sure this is random?

Cheers,
   - Andreas