Building Unix Squeak VM On Intel Mac

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Mar 31 20:55:00 UTC 2006

Clues for other are:

usage of

     register char* localSP SP_REG;
     register char* localIP IP_REG;
     register sqInt currentBytecode CB_REG;

versus

     char* localSP;
     char* localIP;
     sqInt currentBytecode;

which confuse and cause gcc 4.0x to crash. Also to produce poor code,
in checking removal of this gcc hack produces better
code on intel for gcc 4.0x and powerpc on gcc 3.3.  Likely one should
also visit compiler options on xcode project to understand the choices
I made which seem to make better assembler since we don't have to
support legacy hardware.

On 31-Mar-06, at 8:00 AM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> The VM crashes on launch in the big switch statement with a memory
> access violation.
>
> Of course, the Intel Macs are much faster than the PPC ones - so
> even with this "handicap" it seems quite a bit faster than the PPC
> one.
>

> On Mar 31, 2006, at 2:32 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>

>> Am 31.03.2006 um 09:29 schrieb Todd Blanchard:
>>> make INTERP=interp
>>> make INTERP=interp Squeak.app
>>
>> Ugh, does the gnuify script not work? This will severely effect
>> performance.
>>
>> - Bert -

===