A squeak machine?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri May 5 16:02:20 UTC 2006

Jim, if you have a standard C compiler and ansi libraries you should
be able to get a basic VM running fairly quickly. As an example, it
only took a few days to get a vm running on a custom StrongARM
machine we built at Interval Research some years ago and that
included a couple of revisions of the firmware to fix bugs.

If you don't have an ansi/C system.... well it might be a bit harder.
And making use of the unique features of the machine is definitely a
bunch more work!

If I understand you correctly, you have a 32 bit data word with an
*extra* 10 bits of tagging?  Except you mention a 40bit memory
system, so I must have missed something.

> BTW: this thing runs at 1 GHz and has 256 alu's,  64 macs,  tons of
> registers and scratch and  2X266 Mhz 40 bit ddr2 dram interfaces
> with 256
> Mwords of store..
Sound fun. Does it have a TCM? That would be nice facility.

> Just how do I implement a parallel or massivly pipeline(d) squeak
> machine?
Good question. I think the answer to that is something along the
lines of <dr.evil>One *million*euros!</dr.evil>
Or alternatively contact me directly and we might be able to arrange
something.

tim
ASCII to  ASCII, DOS to DOS.