3.9-4 VM on cygwin: check that /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-4/vm-display-X11.so exists

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Mon May 15 15:59:08 UTC 2006

Hi Bert,

on Mon, 15 May 2006 14:12:26 +0200, you <bert at impara.de> wrote:

> Am 15.05.2006 um 13:46 schrieb Klaus D. Witzel:
>
>> Hi Bert,
>>
>> on Mon, 15 May 2006 13:38:40 +0200, Bert Freudenberg <bert at impara.de>
>> wrote:

>>> Excuse my ignorance, but, why?
>>
>> Couldn't find any other environment which compiles the 3.9 VM to run
>> under windoze, easy that is.
>
> And what do you need a 3.9 VM for?

That was a simple investment decision (investing into the future can be
done when no longer investing into the past). Nothing more, nothing else.

> I'm pretty sure you can happily run the 3.9 image even with a 3.7 VM.
> There haven't been major changes AFAIK.

Well, had the same thought. But giving the 3.9 VM a try was considered as
costly (or as inexpensive, it depends) as trying the 3.9 image with a
home-compiled 3.7 VM. Who does the latter anyways? There the seem to be
not many (besides the VM's maintainers, Spoon, Croquet, Exupery) VMMaker
users.

> That aside, I agree we need to get 3.9 VM sources into an easily
> findable place.

Great!

>> The only official source for squeak on win32 has the older 3.7.1 VM
>>
>> - http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/
>
> IIRC then the most recent Squeak VM for Windows can be found in the
> Croquet package. Not sure about the sources for that, might be in SVN?

Now that you mention it: we DID try (1x) the win32 scripts from the trunk,
to no avail under win32 :-( could have searched for a
backwards+serialization+compatible JVM during the same time with the same
result ;-)

>> Q into the other direction: why not, any problem?
>
> Well, I doubt anyone did that, yet. If it works at all (not sure how
> unixy cygwin actually is)

For me it is easier to tell my colleagues to use *nix scripts, [easier for
them] than to use the non-(Visual-scream+and+shout) 3.7.1 script material.
We'll see if that (doing it under+for cygwin) works.

> you'll have to run an X server to see anything ...

Sure. At the moment we'd be happy if it would read script files. We think
we will use X only for close-encounter debugging (perhaps someone can find
a non-X fb.h for cygwin?).

/Klaus