It works [was: 3.9-4 VM on cygwin: check that /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-4/vm-display-X11.so exists]

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed May 17 20:08:42 UTC 2006

List,

the 3.9-4 VM now runs on the cygwin platform just long enough for taking a
first screen shot (attached).

The vm-display-X11 module is linked together with vm.a, same with
vm-sound-null, and a handsome sqUnixNoMozilla.a ;-)

No other module or plugin is currently working. The VM terminates itself
after some mouse+display activity - it does not crash, just stops -
perhaps it gets bored because no externalized primitive does anything.

The dlopen and linking facilities of cygwin have about the level
functionally which was common at ASM/360 times, it is allowed to do
everything manually. It will not be easy to reference plugins with dlopen.

Now I must learn more on how to create makefiles from config files, is
there an entry level doc and / or tutorial that someone here would
recommend?

/Klaus

P.S. Thank you very much Bert and Wolfgang for your encouraging questions
and suggestions, without you we still would be confused by gcc -shared and
by libtool -dlopen self.