sigsev in 64/32 bit VM

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon May 29 21:43:25 UTC 2006

On 29-May-06, at 12:51 PM, Martin Kuball wrote:

>>> Forgot to give you some more details. I'm running a amd64 system
>>> with linux 2.6.14. Compiler ist gcc 4.0.3.

If there is no memory mapped at a fundamental address like
sqMemoryBase that implies to me that some very serious has failed,
and I think it must surely have failed right at the beginning of
starting Squeak. You didn't mention anything about whether the system
started up or not, what you were doing, or anything that might help us.

sqMemoryBase is typically set right at the beginning of the VM
startup, by allocating the memory for the image so if for some
strange reason that fails you could be in trouble. It's hard to
imagine how the allocate could fail and not be detected though.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Utinam coniurati te in foro interficiant! =
May conspirators assassinate you in the mall!