sigsev in 64/32 bit VM

Martin Kuball martinkuball at web.de
Tue May 30 20:19:02 UTC 2006

Am Monday, 29. May 2006 23:43 schrieb tim Rowledge:

> If there is no memory mapped at a fundamental address like
> sqMemoryBase that implies to me that some very serious has failed,
> and I think it must surely have failed right at the beginning of
> starting Squeak. You didn't mention anything about whether the
> system started up or not, what you were doing, or anything that
> might help us.
>
> sqMemoryBase is typically set right at the beginning of the VM
> startup, by allocating the memory for the image so if for some
> strange reason that fails you could be in trouble. It's hard to
> imagine how the allocate could fail and not be detected though.

Hi!

I compiled a VM with BallonEngine, BitBlitSimulation and FilePlugin.
I started the vm in gdb and checked the allocation of the memory. All
went well. The reason I reported a bad memory region earlier is that
sqMemoryBase is the real base - 16.
Now the interpreter loop runs and at its 12th cylce (opcode 134) I
still get the SIGSEV. Further investigation showed that
foo->stackPointer is the culprit. All the cycles before it had a
value of 15723512. But this time the value is 1509280732. Really bad.
I will try to find out where this change happens tomorrow.

By the way when compiling I see a lot of warnings like this one:

	/home/kuball/SMT/vm-svn/trunk/platforms/unix/mysrc/vm/interp.c:7772:
	warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

I'm not sure if it is save to ignore them.

The reason I did not mention anything about system startup is that
nothing unusual happend. And it's not the the first time I build a
VM. I even have an 64/32 bit VM working here. But it's almost 1 year
old and has no network support. Because of that and because I plan to
resume work on my xvid plugin I want something more up to date.

Martin