[Vm-dev] re: hacking a 3.9 VM

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Oct 7 20:31:20 UTC 2006

Well Tim forgets that on the mac that the image name is UTF-8 and it
has to be translated into the
character set the VM is using, simply returning the string *might* be
good enuf, (sp). However likely that might not work well in Japan.

sq.h has

/* Image file and VM path names. */
extern char imageName[];
char *getImageName(void);

However it seems the interp C code has lapsed back into referring
directly to the imageName string.
likely no one has tested this for a few years, but as a backwared
compatible step the imageName string is setup when the imagename is
calculated which is why it works.

On 7-Oct-06, at 12:55 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> tim Rowledge wrote:
>>> When I do this I have a few strange issues: First, there isn't
>>> any getImageName in that code (where does that come from?)
>> That was exactly the bit I was hoping you'd add so that other
>> people can just compile out of the box :-)
>
> Sorry, but I mean the opposite: There doesn't seem to be any
> reference to getImageName in the VMMaker generated sources. If I
> grep interp.c for getImageName it comes up empty, and I don't get
> any link errors either. Put differently, the current sources
> compile just fine except from the two plugins exploding in my face.
>
>> All I can tell you there is that both appear to compile ok on OSX
>> and the tablet plugin is ok on RISC OS (no b3d accel there).
>
> Odd.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

===