[Vm-dev] re: hacking a 3.9 VM

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Oct 8 03:57:40 UTC 2006

Well someone build a mac vm a few weeks back and as far as I know...

	0.  Grab your 3.8.1 image, install Balloon 3D, and then install
version 3.8b6 of VMMaker, from
	http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/
4340a66e-2296-48b7-9aa8-5305d303752f/files/VMMaker-3.8b6.mcz
	or later...

	When this loads rely yes to move FloatProto to Undeclared.
	Now load the following two change sets found in the
specialChangeSets folder.
	Note these might be in the VMMaker update since this doc was
written, check the change set and
	the image after loading VMMaker to see if you need these items.

	load VMM38-gc-instrument-image.1.cs
	load VMM38-64bit-imageUpdates.1.cs

	That should provide a version of VMMaker that is sufficient to build
3.8.12b5U

On 7-Oct-06, at 6:04 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hm ... trying to go back to 3.8 to see if the problem is caused by
> 64bit updates wasn't successful either. First I updated to 3.8.1
> which loads 6735RemoveLeftoverVMMakerBits-38b4 and thusly removes a
> whole bunch of methods that are required by the version in the
> released 3.8 version. After noticing this (the hard way) I loaded
> VMMaker-38b4 which I thought would include these methods but it
> doesn't. Okay, so I reverted to 3.8-6665 to generate the VM, only
> to run into one of those (foo isMemberOf: Symbol) issues from the
> post-m17n transition phase. That fixed I was almost capable of
> generating a new VM only to notice that you mustn't have the
> VMMaker tool or else loading a new Win32VMMaker class is being
> ignored. Took me a while to find that.
>
> Finally, I was able to generate a new VM but failed immediately
> with compiling it because of conflicting definitions of byteAt:
> etc. So after spending a couple of hours on this I still don't know
> what causes these crashes.
>
> Argh. This is a lot worse than I remembered.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>>>
>>> That was exactly the bit I was hoping you'd add so that other
>>> people can just compile out of the box :-)
>> Sorry, but I mean the opposite: There doesn't seem to be any
>> reference to getImageName in the VMMaker generated sources. If I
>> grep interp.c for getImageName it comes up empty, and I don't get
>> any link errors either. Put differently, the current sources
>> compile just fine except from the two plugins exploding in my face.
>>> All I can tell you there is that both appear to compile ok on OSX
>>> and the tablet plugin is ok on RISC OS (no b3d accel there).
>> Odd.
>> Cheers,
>>   - Andreas

===