[Vm-dev] Image Freezing

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Thu Oct 26 19:45:42 UTC 2006

All,

Ok after a little poking around I noticed:

CTPusher >> startUp

            self shutDown.

            delay := Delay forSeconds: 15.

            process := SeasidePlatformSupport

                        withName: 'ping'

                        withLowestPriorityFork: [ [ self pingProcess ]
repeat ]

I've been working with Squeak for a long time now and never had the image
freeze up on me before.  The only thing I did differently was to load the
Comet application.

In the bug http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882 I noted that I was able to
reproduce the error without starting seaside.  The above code seemed like a
good candidate, so I terminated the process.  I was not able to get the
image to freeze up after this.  I tried changing the priority from 10 to 11
so that it would not run concurrently with idle process and it still had not
frozen up on me.

Does this process have to run at the same priority as idle?  Is there a
problem with a deadlock in the priority switching process of the vm?

Ron Teitelbaum