64 bit Squeak (was: [Vm-dev] VM segmentation fault onNetNameResolverclass>nameForAddress:timeout:)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Oct 31 10:58:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 10:04:21PM +0100, barger wrote:
> Now i get message :
>
> This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 0).

I think that you are trying to run a 64 bit image with a 32 bit VM.
The 64 bit image requires a separate VM executable, which you need
to build by generating sources with the "64 bit VM?" check box selected
in VMMaker. This VM is required in order to run an image with 64 bit
Smalltalk word size.

> Is anybody else running 64bit image, and be so kind to give link to download
> it ?

I run a 64 bit image occasionally, but only for the fun of seeing
it work. I also use it for updating various plugins that I maintain,
so they are 64 bit clean (OSPP, etc). Otherwise, I don't know of
anyone running 64 bit images right now.

One other important thing that you need to know is that the original
64 bit image on the "dist3" site does not work with a current VM.
I have attached a change set to show the method that has changed,
but it's a bit of a trick to actually do the update (I made a
custom hacked VM that tolerated either version of the image, and
used that to update the image to match the current VM).

I think someone announced a web site for distributing useful images.
I guess I can upload a patched 64 bit image there if noone else is
has a better plan.

> I was trying with SystemTracer64 writeImage: from last actual 3.9 RC3 but
> still always fail on this version message.

My understanding is that the system tracer only works on big-ender
machines (i.e. pre-Intel Macs).

There is now a "Squeak 64 bit" category on Mantis for tracking
64 bit Squeak issues. Currently there are three items that you
should read:

http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5240
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5239
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5238