[Vm-dev] re: Strongtalk VM for Squeak?

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Sat Sep 16 05:46:59 UTC 2006

Hi Dave--

      I would love to see the StrongTalk ideas incorporated into Squeak,
but I'd never want to give up Squeak's wonderful self-hosting property
(the virtual machine is written in Smalltalk, and runnable and
debuggable in Smalltalk). All the C++ associated with the current
StrongTalk makes me wince. :)

      Another current Squeak project, Bryce Kampjes' "Exupery", a
physical-processor code translator, manages to maintain this property.
Could we do this with the StrongTalk ideas? Is there some useful overlap
between StrongTalk and Exupery? (Others please feel free to chime in.)

      This also seems like a good time to mention that I'm looking for
work and that I have extensive experience with the Squeak VM (see, for
example, my "Spoon" project, a minimal Squeak[1]).

      thanks!

-C

[1] http://netjam.org/spoon

--