[Vm-dev] RE: Strongtalk VM for Squeak?

David Griswold David.Griswold.at.squeak-vm-dev at avidriswold.mailshell.com
Sun Sep 17 19:57:36 UTC 2006

Hi Klaus,

> [...]
>
> I think what Strongtalk VM and Squeak VM already have in common is demand
> for a powerful ObjectMemory implementation (the superclass of Squeak's
> interpreter).
>
> Would you say that this can be a good subproject to start with, all in
> Slang.

I haven't looked at Squeak's VM in detail, but from a quick look at
ObjectMemory, I would say it seems to be exposing the guts of the VM
implementation, and thus wouldn't be the right place for a common interface.
Something like that might be the right thing as the low-level interface for
the long term goal of rewriting the Strongtalk VM in Slang or something like
that, but for a common interface, we would want something that hides all the
details of heap structure, object structure, etc, i.e. abstracts the VM
functionality.

-Dave