[Vm-dev] Re: [ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Sep 25 21:15:24 UTC 2006

On 25-Sep-06, at 12:33 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2006, at 21:11 , Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> Brad Fuller wrote:
>>> tim Rowledge wrote:
>>>
>>> Wouldn't the VM Crash, that I and others reported, be a reason
>>> not to
>>> release until fixed? Mantis issue# 0005056
>>>
>>> brad
>> No comment on my question?
>
> I think, the current VM issues would be a good reason to pospone
> the release.
>
> Unfortunately, as it seems to me, the VM is quite poorly
> maintained. Probably the main reason being that the maintainers
> don't have enough time (or, in other words, because they are not
> paid to fix the problems). Another difficulty is that there are
> only few people that actually work on the VM (why?)

$ (or lack there of)

> Apart from the bug you mention (http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?
> id=0005056) there are others.

a pointer to memory is an unsigned value, not a signed integer. Tim
will gladly accept lots of $$ to fix that.

> For example:
> - http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4709 (VM blocks after memory
> consumtion exceeds ~120MB)

I added a note about http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3710, since
likely the problem is hitting the wall when attempting to grow the
image.

> - http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882 (VM lockup)

See added notes about setVMStatsTraceMessageSendLevels:
The Mac carbon VM and unix VMs all share the same code for aioPoll
and socket logic.
Since all the source code *is* available others are welcome to look
at the logic and try to figure out what is going on.

> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> PS: cc to vm-dev

===