[Vm-dev] Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 17 14:14:12 UTC 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 15:50 , Mathieu Suen wrote:

>> From: Mathieu Suen <mathieusuen at yahoo.fr>
>> Date: April 17, 2007 10:01:31 AM CEDT
>> To: Ian Piumarta <piumarta at speakeasy.net>
>> Cc: Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion <vm-
>> dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>> Subject: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have tried to compile Squeak with VMMaker.
>> I have taken:
>>  	-  3.10 image (Squeak-dev-beta-107)
>> 	- VMMaker 3.8b6
>> 	- the latest source from the  svn
>>
>> After I have compile the source with VMMaker.
>> Then I go to my folder where the source where generate and create
>> the build dir:
>>
>> mkdir bld
>> cd bld
>> ../platforms/unix/config/configure LDFLAGS="-framework OpenGL" --
>> without-x
>> make
>>
>> I have had LDFLAGS="-framework OpenGL" because the linker haven't
>> found some _gl* symbols
>>
>> Still the make failed with symbols undefined:

>> gcc -g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLSB_FIRST=1 -framework OpenGL -o
>> squeak disabledPlugins.o version.o -framework CoreFoundation -
>> framework CoreServices  vm/vm.a ADPCMCodecPlugin/
>> ADPCMCodecPlugin.a AsynchFilePlugin/AsynchFilePlugin.a
>> B3DAcceleratorPlugin/B3DAcceleratorPlugin.a BMPReadWriterPlugin/
>> BMPReadWriterPlugin.a B2DPlugin/B2DPlugin.a BitBltPlugin/
>> BitBltPlugin.a CroquetPlugin/CroquetPlugin.a DSAPrims/DSAPrims.a
>> ZipPlugin/ZipPlugin.a DropPlugin/DropPlugin.a FFTPlugin/
>> FFTPlugin.a FileCopyPlugin/FileCopyPlugin.a FilePlugin/
>> FilePlugin.a FloatArrayPlugin/FloatArrayPlugin.a FloatMathPlugin/
>> FloatMathPlugin.a GeniePlugin/GeniePlugin.a HostWindowPlugin/
>> HostWindowPlugin.a InternetConfigPlugin/InternetConfigPlugin.a
>> JPEGReadWriter2Plugin/JPEGReadWriter2Plugin.a JPEGReaderPlugin/
>> JPEGReaderPlugin.a JoystickTabletPlugin/JoystickTabletPlugin.a
>> Klatt/Klatt.a LargeIntegers/LargeIntegers.a LocalePlugin/
>> LocalePlugin.a Matrix2x3Plugin/Matrix2x3Plugin.a
>> MiscPrimitivePlugin/MiscPrimitivePlugin.a Mpeg3Plugin/
>> Mpeg3Plugin.a RePlugin/RePlugin.a SecurityPlugin/SecurityPlugin.a
>> SerialPlugin/SerialPlugin.a SocketPlugin/SocketPlugin.a
>> SoundCodecPrims/SoundCodecPrims.a SoundGenerationPlugin/
>> SoundGenerationPlugin.a SoundPlugin/SoundPlugin.a StarSqueakPlugin/
>> StarSqueakPlugin.a SurfacePlugin/SurfacePlugin.a UUIDPlugin/
>> UUIDPlugin.a -lm vm/vm.a
>> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
>> _closeWindow
>> _createWindowWidthheightoriginXyattrlength
>> _ioCloseAllWindows
>> _ioPositionOfWindow
>> _ioPositionOfWindowSetxy
>> _ioSetTitleOfWindow
>> _ioShowDisplayOnWindow
>> _ioSizeOfWindow
>> _ioSizeOfWindowSetxy
>> _sqInternetConfigurationGetStringKeyedBykeySizeinto
>> _sqInternetConfigurationInit
>> _sqInternetConfigurationShutdown
>> _sqInternetGetMacintoshFileTypeAndCreatorFromkeySizeinto
> [...]

It looks like you are compiling some plugins not the way they're
supposed to be used. For example, B3DAcceleratorPlugin should be
build externally because it links to OpenGL. And HostWindowPlugin,
InternetConfigPlugin, and LocalePlugin are not supported by the Unix
VM, which explains your link errors.

- Bert -