[Vm-dev] Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Apr 18 10:50:17 UTC 2007

On Apr 18, 2007, at 12:33 , Damien Pollet wrote:

>> > Shouldn't there be only one ?
>>
>> Well imagine the world when you could pick between TWO solutions for
>> your open source needs,
>
> That's not what I meant. I meant one configurable build, so you share
> maintenance work still have the two flavors. In the open source world,
> choice is good provided there is enough work force. For a vertical
> project (few users, few developers, few experts), it's better to have
> one code base than split the already small community among forks.
>
> I'm probably wrong, and I'd be happy to stand corrected, but as it is
> now, the unix and mac builds look like forks (ie. unnecessary work
> duplication) instead of justified modularity.

If any, it's a "reverse fork" - the Unix and Mac VMs used to have
nothing in common (except for the interpreter of course). Only
because Apple switched to Unix was it possible to make the Unix VM
work on Mac OS X. And actually I think there was a third Mac VM
that's not maintained anymore, which was completely in Objective C/
Cocoa.

You're welcome to work on the Grand Unified Mac VM. John's latest
work already went in that direction as far as I can tell, but so far
his VM is more complete.

- Bert -