[Vm-dev] 64 bit VM, source anyone?

goran.krampe at msc.se goran.krampe at msc.se
Tue Dec 4 17:56:54 UTC 2007

Hi folks!

Ok, so I was stupid enough to pick Debian Etch 64 bit when configuring
my last server. I knew it would bite me :) and here I am confused about
where to find a 64 bit VM to compile.

AFAIK lots of small patches have been flying around lately, but where
can I find a tar ball that has most of those? David, could you perhaps
create one?

Right now I use the binary i386 VM from ftp.squeak.org/debian, it seems
to work but looks slowish to me (tinyBenchmarks):

295 million bytecods/sec
9.5 million sends/sec

And regardless of that it seems reasonable to at least use a 64 bit VM.
:)

regards, Göran

---
Debian-40-etch-64-minimal:~/squeak# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 67
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext
fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm
cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 2063.10
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64