[Vm-dev] 64 bit VM, source anyone?

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Dec 4 21:23:43 UTC 2007

Hi!

Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2007, at 18:56 , goran.krampe at msc.se wrote:
>
> > Right now I use the binary i386 VM from ftp.squeak.org/debian, it
> > seems
> > to work but looks slowish to me (tinyBenchmarks):
> >
> > 295 million bytecods/sec
> > 9.5 million sends/sec
> >
> > And regardless of that it seems reasonable to at least use a 64 bit
> > VM.
> > :)
>
> For one, try to not think with your gut ;)

I know - I just felt tempted to give 64 bits a shot. It was probably a
bad decision. :)

> Secondly, since there seems to be more interest lately, I'm sure
> someone will provide answers. At least you are the first one posting
> actual benchmark numbers - until now, I have only suspected a 64 bit
> VM would actually be slower than a 32 bit VM. It's what my gut tells
> me ;)

I have absolutely no idea. Note though that the above numbers are for
the binary 32 bit VM running on Debian AMD64.
One can hope that the 64 bit VM is faster - but as you say, it might be
more realistic to be slower.

> - Bert -

regards, Göran

PS. The reason I said "slowish" is that... well, it is definitely not
much faster than my Pentium-M laptop. But after talking on IRC it became
clear that those numbers may very well be the expected.