[Vm-dev] Re: 64 bit VM, source anyone?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Dec 5 11:07:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 10:26:44AM +0200, goran at krampe.se wrote:

> Great, thank you! Now for some stupid questions:
>
> - You use this recipe together with the current trunk in SVN or?
> - ...eh, ok, perhaps that was my only question. :)

Yes, I use the most recent SVN. This is important because it contains
a recent patch that supports the "32 bit clean" change sets.

> I am considering creating two Mercurial repos:
>
> - One mirroring Ian's SVN.
> - One that I push all the above into and make available for write to
> people asking. :)
> - And a VMMaker repo.

I don't know anything about Mercurial, but IMHO the only real
missing piece is that it would be helpful to get a copy of the
VMMaker Montecello files copied over to a SqueakSource repository.
That's not a tools problem, it's just a matter of convincing Tim
to do it.

> Why? Because:
>
> 1. I would like to see if that works technically.
> 2. I would like to see if there is enough interest from others in a more
> distributed and open "experimental" approach to maintaining the VM.

It would be an interesting experiment, but speaking just for myself
I'm more interested in making best use of existing resources (people
plus tools) and I really do not have enough free time to keep track
of more development repositories. Shucks, I can't even keep up with
all the different Squeak images, never mind tracking any more VM
projects ;)