Decentralizing VM development (was Re: [Vm-dev] Re: 64 bit VM, source anyone?)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Dec 5 17:40:58 UTC 2007

On 5-Dec-07, at 5:48 AM, goran at krampe.se wrote:
> - and hey, we
> could even instrument VMMaker so that it can be run headless and
> produce
> the source code.
Oh come on guys, RFTM! VMMaker has been scriptable since day zero. In
fact to be strictly correct VMMaker is *only* scriptable; it's
VMMakerTool that is interactive and provides the UI. It was originally
written so the exobox could do automated nightly VM builds.

I do actually have a vmmaker project on squeaksource - dating from
when it first started up - but I never really got into the habit of
using it because - IIRC - I had a lot of problems. I just tried to
take a look and the site isn't even up right now. Doesn't inspire a
lot of confidence.

Ideally, yes a more public repository than my hard disc farm would be
nice. We really ought to have a copy of the relevant version of the
vmmaker package in the svn tree for each release - and we really ought
not have so many layers of crap stuffed into the svn tree!  I suppose
an image prebuilt for each release would be nice but there is after
all the developer image being maintained anyway. A direct interface to
svn from the image would be nice too. Time to get some development
work done would be a pleasant  surprise, which is why I have to point
out that money gets involved. I'm not independently wealthy any more
than most of you.

Oh, and I did ask a while back (on the twin of this thread on the
seaside list) for advice, discussion, doc pointers etc about how to
handle allowing open access to an MC repo whilst still maintaining an
official branch etc. No responses; anybody here going to actually help
rather than whine?

tim
Useful random insult:- His future is behind schedule.