[Vm-dev] Getting a segfault on vm built from sources on gentoo Linux on an amd64

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Dec 19 20:04:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 01:47:36AM -0800, Miles Georgi wrote:

> Hi, I seem to be having trouble getting squeak to run on one of my machines.
>
> It's an amd64 running gentoo Linux with x86_64 as the architecture.

Here is what I do:
  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2007-December/001703.html

Use the most up to date sources from Subversion on squeakvm.org also.

> If I build Squeak from the current sources I get the following segfault:
>
> miles at salmon ~/src/Squeak-3.9-8 $ squeak Squeak3.9-final-7067.image
>
> Segmentation fault
>
> 16405880 >?
> 16256940 SmalltalkImage>snapshot:andQuit:embedded:

If you follow the recipe above, it should work fine. However, if you
are still getting seg faults, try running your vm under a debugger
(gdb, ddd, etc). When it dies, the debugger will show you where it's
happening.  Sometimes that is enough to point you to the problem.