[Vm-dev] Re: Unix VM path encodings

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Dec 30 10:05:08 UTC 2007

On Dec 30, 2007, at 1:28 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Oh, interesting. That reminds me of the fix that I needed for
> Windows, let me see... yes, here it is: LanguageEnvironment
> class>>defaultFileNameConverter needs to be fixed since it is
> (wrongly) guessing the file name encoding based on the currently
> active locale (which makes no sense btw, since the locale doesn't
> mean Jack for file name encodings). Hm ... lemme try this ... ah,
> interesting. It appears that I can make the Umlauts work on Unix
> correctly if and only if:
> * I fix the above method to return UTF8TextConverter in every case
> [*1]
> * I use -pathenc MacRoman -textenc MacRoman
> Which makes no sense to me since neither the path nor the text
> encoding is MacRoman but it appears to work. Huh?

Careful now is that

0x9F in macroman  or
0x000000FC   in utf-32

which is coming back from the VM, then what does the
LanguageEnvironment class>>defaultFileNameConverter do
and which FONT and character set does that font think it lives in?
Since the hex value might not have proper representation if you use a
non-unicode proper font after converting from something to unicode....

--
=
=