[Vm-dev] 32bit clean VM work.

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Jul 14 21:48:27 UTC 2007

David T. Lewis wrote:
> Avi, have you been running the VM with these changes in any production
> situations? If so, any feedback you might be able to provide would be
> appreciated. Thanks!

We've been running VMs with these changes[*] and they have fixed the
Linux problems that we had. As an aside, one thing that we ran into (and
that I just fixed a couple of days ago) is the effect that Delay in
Squeak is not safe. Much of the manipulation of the Delay internal
structures (SuspendedDelay and friends) happens from the calling process
and if that calling process gets killed things go south quickly.
Unfortunately, you won't ever run into this unless you run a server
(because you won't ever get "truly asynchronous" interrupts to cause
this to happen) which makes it all but impossible to recreate this
problem on a single machine.

[*] Yours plus John's IGC fix which turned out to be important.

Cheers,
   - Andreas