[Vm-dev] Couple of questions about VMMaker

Mathieu Suen mathk.sue at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 21:06:57 UTC 2007

Hi

I would like to know in which case I should use the above message.

#fetchLong32: ofObject:
#fetchPointer: ofObject:
#fetchByte: ofObject:

Last time I used fetchByte to get a pointer and it work.
I think that fetchPointer should be more apropriate.
and fetchLong32 should work too in a 32bit VM?

I notice also some other message like: #fetchArray: ofObject:
#fetchFloat: ofObject: #fetchInteger: ofObject: but nobody seems to
use it

I also wonder why they do not depend on the object header. So Header
of all object have the sae size?

Also can you explain what the object header is composed? Especialy
for the special one: CompiledMethod or may be MethodDictionary...

Thanks taking time to answer my questions.

	Mth