[Vm-dev] Re: VM patches for oop comparison and usqInt declarations

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jun 8 21:14:25 UTC 2007

ok, in debugging vm I get  failure in

   static inline sqInt longAtput(sqInt oop, sqInt val)		{ return
longAtPointerput(pointerForOop(oop), val); }

oop is 0xe02e2c98
val is 310,038

called via inCompMove

	} else {
		newFreeChunk = newOop + (sizeBitsOf(newOop));
		/* begin setSizeOfFree:to: */
		longAtput(newFreeChunk, (bytesFreed & AllButTypeMask) |
HeaderTypeFree);
	}

newOop is 0x7ffb4558
newFreeChunk is -533844840  or  0xe02e2c98
Well that has a wrong feel to it...
Let me attached an image of the debugger vars in case someone wants
to puzzle out the issue.

On May 27, 2007, at 6:22 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 06:59:49AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
>> The attached zip contains six change sets and an update for
>> sqMemoryAccess.h.
>> The changes are intended to resolve problems with oop variable
>> declarations
>> and comparison operations that may occur on platforms that assign
>> object
>> memory to high virtual memory address values.
>
> Can anyone confirm whether these changes are producing the intended
> results, i.e. a system that used to crash with >2GB oop issues, and
> no longer crashes after applying the changes? I don't have any Squeak
> platform that exhibits the problem, so so I can't confirm whether or
> not the problem is actually resolved.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

===