[Vm-dev] Unix UTF8 input

Chris Petsos chrispetsos at sch.gr
Fri Jun 22 09:50:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 21:58 +0200, Martin Kuball wrote:

> It should appear under the X11 options paragraph as the last option. What
> exactly failed? The VM just quit? Or you could not enter any characters?
> By the way there is no need to specify UTF-8 if you have UTF-8 as your
> locale.

Indeed, it appears under the X11 options but when i set it the VM does not start.
Now...there goes my Linux dumminess...how do i set UTF-8 as my locale?
Is it the
	LANG=el-GR.utf8

> > Ok, despite that i could set the SQUEAK_EVENTENC environment variable so
> > that i can setUxXwinEncoding... but i did not get any keyboard events
> > when my keyboard was turned to greek locale...
> > Also, i saw somewhere
> > 	charCode= out[0]; /* only single-byte chars for now*/
>
> That's because (as I understand it - at least at the time I wrote that) the
> VM still uses macroman internally. But maybe this is not true any more (or
> even was not true a year ago). If so we can change this.

I 've put some keyboard event buffer printing in my input interpreter so
that i can see if keyboard events are generated and with what values...
When i change the keyboard to my locale, no printing to the
Transcript...no events generated at all...
Why is that?

Christos.