[Vm-dev] SqueakVM help for OLPC

Chris Petsos chrispetsos at sch.gr
Tue May 15 18:51:59 UTC 2007

Hi all!

This is Christos Petsos... i am actively participating in localising
OLPC in greek language... I am involved in localising eToys in Greek
right now...i'll try to be brief on what i am searching...

We are trying to make Squeak work with Unicode...Yoshiki Ohshima has
been very helpful till now and his suggestion was to let all the data
that the platform (e.g. Windows, Unix etc...) is sending,  enter the
Squeak VM as is and deal with them there (in the image side) with
InputInterpreter classes. I am a bit familiar with VMMaker ( just today
i downloaded it and managed to compile a VM for my Windows platform) and
now i want to find the place where the VM filters keycodes above 255.

Another clue is that Squeak in Windows uses ANSI versions of Windows
functions which support only 8-bit characters, such as  CreateDirectoryA
CreateEventA CreateFileA CreateMutexA CreateProcessA
DeleteFileA

Any idea on how we can work this out so that Squeak can use the Unicode
equivelant functions so that it can support Wide Characters ...
CreateFileW lstrcmpiW GetCommandLineW lstrcatW
FindFirstFileW GetFileAttributesW lstrcmpW lstrcpynW FormatMessageW
DeleteFileW GetTextExtentPoint32W ?

Or even just tell the VM to let all the bits enter the image and deal
with them there?   Your help will speed us up a lot so any ideas are
most welcome!
Thank you in advance...

Christos