[Vm-dev] SqueakVM help for OLPC

Chris Petsos chrispetsos at sch.gr
Thu May 17 11:05:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 12:51 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>  On May 17, 2007, at 10:39 , Chris Petsos wrote:
>
> > The thing is that
> >     msg->wParam
> > looks like it sends 8-bit CP1253 charcodes in the range [0...255].
> > (Did i mention that i am trying to make it work in a Windows
> > system?...well i am...)
> >
> > What can i do to retrieve Unicode charcodes?
>
> Dig through Microsoft's documentation or ask some Windows programmers
> - this is not actually a Squeak problem. Once you figure that out it
> should be fairly simple to add to the Squeak VM (though it might
> break stuff, but for your own development it should be fine).

OK, i'll do that...

> Still - why do you bother with the Windows VM when you want to
> develop for OLPC? Install Linux, either as dual-boot or in an
> emulator (Qemu is free and works nicely), and concentrate on the
> actual problems rather than fictive ones. That way you can also
> experience and test the Sugar integration we are working on.

The localisation of the Unix VM is assigned to someone else...
As i told you before, the Windows VM needs to support Unicode too cause
educational material for eToys is going to be written by people
(teachers) that do not have Unix boxes nor they want to be familiar with
Unix so they will be using their Windows platforms to write Etoys.
If we fix around things in Windows in a non-Unicode way, and make the
Unix VM Unicode we will have compatibility problems in font using,
character encoding and other things.
That is why Windows VM needs to be hacked in order to suppport
Unicode...

Whatsoever...thanks for everything!

Christos