[Vm-dev] SqueakVM help for OLPC

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu May 17 16:15:32 UTC 2007

Just to remind folks, having it work like the mac vm would be a good
thing.

utf32Code  is the field that is used to contain the unicode value in
the sqKeyboardEvent structure.

This value is 0, unless the event type is EventKeyChar then utf32Code
is the unicode value.

Also in the mac vm we generate synthetic cursor up/down/left/right
keystrokes for scroll wheel mice.
So at that point we pass the ascii value of the cursor movement value
as the EventKeyChar  based utf32Code.

There was if you all recall discussion about

>> Subject: 	sq.h changes, grabbed reserved field in sqKeyboardEvent
>> 	Date: 	March 29, 2006 1:59:49 PM PST (CA)
>>
>> key down
>> charCode:  	a magic number mapping to a key on the keyboard,
>> different between mac/windows
>> pressCode	the utf-32 value of the key pressed
>> additionalData	the macroman value of the key pressed
>>
>> key char
>> charCode	the macroman value of the key pressed
>> pressCode	the utf-32 value of the key pressed
>> additionalData	a magic number mapping to a key on the keyboard,
>> different between mac/windows
>>

>> key up
>> charCode:  	a magic number mapping to a key on the keyboard,
>> different between mac/windows
>> pressCode	the utf-32 value of the key pressed
>> additionalData	the macroman value of the key pressed

So if we are going to provide unicode values in the windows vm, do we
want to revisit the issues with
key up/down/char again? I believe Bert was the one struggling with
Sophie at the time and trying to
resolve keys pressed versus what ends up in Tweak?

On May 17, 2007, at 8:28 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Chris Petsos wrote:
>> The thing is that
>>     msg->wParam
>> looks like it sends 8-bit CP1253 charcodes in the range [0...255].
>> (Did i mention that i am trying to make it work in a Windows
>> system?...well i am...)
>>  What can i do to retrieve Unicode charcodes?
>
> Handle WM_UNICHAR (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/
> ms646288.aspx).
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas